Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year, New Blog!

So I've had a blog for 5 1/2 years now, but I felt I needed something specifically dedicated to knitting (so as not to bore my non-crafty friends). Plus, I would like to explore more of the online knitting community, which means putting my name (and life) out there!

So, to start things off, here's my first finished item of 2007, the Sophie Bag:



Okay, so most of this project was completed in 2006, but it finished blocking this afternoon, and I sewed the flower together today, too, so it is officially the first finished item of the year.

The story of this bag is that my dear friends Jeff and Kristen brought me back a skein of Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed (in bright magenta) from their honeymoon in Ireland. I was at a loss for what to do with it. Do I buy more skeins? Do I find something for just the one? What on earth would I do with something magenta? Finally, I decided to make a purse out of it, but when I saw this pattern, I knew that the tweed yarn was destined to become a big ol' flower on a cute spring green bag.

Purse pattern: Magknits
Purse yarn: Cascade 220, #9407, 1 skein (I used the EXACT yarn from the pattern, on a nice accident)
Needles: US 11

Flower pattern: Patons
Flower yarn: Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed, #281106, 1 skein (and a small amount of Knit Picks Elegance in Grass)
Needles: US 10

Here's a closeup of the flower:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home