Monday, January 08, 2007

Something for Me

I have a lot of yarn. This is not unusual for a knitter, lots of us have huge stashes. I have two underbed containers stuffed (they live under the bed, of course). I have too smallish containers in the living room, filled mainly with sock yarn. I have a basket overflowing, basically taking up a whole corner by the couch. And of course, there are skeins here and there, WIPs thrown on the floor, on the couch, in a bag. I really need to stop buying yarn.

One of the reason's that I have so much yarn is that it's the yarn I buy for ME. There are projects I want to make for myself, but never get around to, because gift knitting has taken up so much of my time. So the yarn sits there, and I keep buying more. And maybe one day, those projects will get done (and will still be somewhat in style).

An example of buying yarn for me came while I was in Illinois visiting my family for Christmas. In order to get the car one day, I had to drive my mom to work, which put me halfway to The Fold, in Marengo, and I thought I'd go, since it was the best opportunity I'd have. I was really interested in picking up some Blue Moon Fiber Arts yarns. Unfortunately, the selection of Socks That Rock was low (no lightweight, mainly tonal colors - I picked up a skein of the Heavyweight in Falcon's Eye), but it was really great to just see all of the different BMFA offerings. In addition to the skein of Socks That Rock, I also got a skein of Seduction in some unidentified color (but it's got light blues and purples) and a skein of Kidmo in Periwinkle, which is absolutely stunning.

I immediately knew what I wanted to do with the Kidmo - a simple, open stockinette scarf with Swarovski crystals! It will be lightweight, airy and dressy - the perfect spoil-me present to myself. :-) Here's the start:

Kidmo Scarf at the Beginning

Unfortunately, the crystals I got a little small for the yarn, and I found they weren't moving along as well as I'd like. So, I decided I would just put them in a row at the very beginning and the very end of the scarf - this way I don't have to carry the beads very far (once I run out of yarn, I can slip beads onto that end). Here's a closeup of the beaded portion:

Kidmo Scarf's Swarovskis

I'm not working on this very often; I have other projects on the go that are more pressing. But once this is done, I think it's going to be a lovely addition to my wardrobe. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home