Thursday, February 07, 2008

More Sock FOs

I can't believe I am finally up-to-date enough to post about 2008 FOs! Today there are two pairs of socks, both of which have made their way to their intended homes.

The first pair was originally intended for my friend Kathy as a birthday present. Her birthday is in late November, but when another friend asked if I wanted to go in on something for her birthday, I figured I could put off the socks until Christmas. of course, I didn't exactly finish on time, and then I ran out of yarn 7 rows from completion, but I was able to get more yarn and finish the socks in time for the Lost marathon we had a few weeks ago.

Kathy is a HUGE Pirates of the Caribbean fan, so I knew I had to make her these:

Jack Sparrow's Favorite Socks #2 - 2 of 3

Pattern: Katydid Knits
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, Black Purl, 1 skein; Knit Picks Essential, Black, 1 skein (well, small part of one and small part of another); Louet Gems Fingering, White, 1 skein
Needles: US 1/US 0
Project Timeline: 11/19/07 - 1/22/08

This is the second time I've knit the pattern, so I knew what changes I would want to make. First, it's toe up, and I really love the squishy garter stitch short-row toe and heel, so I used that. Also, the stranding pattern is written for 64 stitches, but I've found that because of the inflexibility of stranding, it's not enough. So I extended it to 72 stitches by making the diamonds between the skulls bigger. The rest of the sock is done over 64 stitches, though - I increased right before the stranding pattern, and decreased right after. I also made sure to start the pattern at the back center, instead of the side, so that the "seam" would be in back. I think these were a little more successful than the first time I knit them (particularly because that time I had to reknit the cuffs since they were too small - oops). Kathy loves them and thinks they give her good luck, so I think I did well!

Ohh, one more thing - I'd forgotten how THIN Lorna's Laces is, which is why I went down slightly in needle size. After some of the other sock yarns I've used, this felt like string! I still love it, and still have lots of it to knit up, but wow does that take some getting used to.

The second pair of socks I gifted in January were knit in only a week! This was partly because I only had a week to knit them, but still - they went very fast. Things have been a little rough the past couple of months, and a friend was kind enough to send me a care package to cheer me up. I decided to thank her by sending her a hand-knit pair of socks for her birthday (hence the quick deadline). I chose to use the yarn I received from The Loopy Ewe as a customer appreciation gift when I became a "Loopy Groupie" - Gypsy Knits BFL in Mountain Rain (Cat likes the color blue). What pattern did I choose?

Monkey Socks - 2 of 2

Pattern: Knitty
Yarn: Gypsy Knits BFL Superwash, Mountain Rain, 1 skein
Needles: US 1.5
Project Timeline: 1/9/08 - 1/15/08

Monkey, of course! I'd never knit this pattern, but decided now was the time to give it a go. I did widen it a bit, up to 72 stitches by extending the pattern. I also chose to do a picot cuff instead of a regular ribbed one. While this was fiddly on circular needles, I think the end result is nice.

I was a little worried about yardage on this yarn - it's only 360 yards, and Cat has size 11 feet! Yikes! Turns out I had just enough (few), and I did six pattern repeats on the cuff, which is exactly what the pattern called for.

I did like the yarn overall, though. While I have a few other skeins of BFL sock yarn, this was the first one I'd used, and I enjoyed the experience - soft, sturdy, shiney, good twist. I don't see a lot of Gypsy Knits BFL available, either on Etsy or The Loopy Ewe, but I hope there is more in the future, because I'd definitely buy another skein or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home