Thursday, December 27, 2007

Ecological Wool Scarves

I was in Chicago for the last week (no, I didn't visit any yarn stores), and just returned yesterday. I realized that I really need to hurry up and get the 2007 FOs posted before it becomes 2008. So this will be a double FO post, but at least both things have multiple things in common: they are both scarves and they are both made out of Cascade's Ecological Wool, which I now love. :-) I also failed to get FO pictures of either of them before they were gifted, but since they are scarves, the WIP photos are good enough I think.

Irish Hiking Scarf in progress

Pattern: Hello Yarn
Yarn: Cascade Eco+, Black (0050), 1 skein
Needles: US 9
Timeline: July 2006 - 11/18/07

Yeah, I started the Irish Hiking Scarf a really long time ago. And not with this yarn. Whatever I had wasn't enough and produced a three-foot scarf. Clearly not enough for my dad (which is who this scarf went to). So, I went in search of another skein, only to not even know what the other yarn was. No big loss, enter Cascade Ecological Wool (or the colored version, in this case)! This yarn seemed scratchy in the skein, but was really a pleasure to work with. And the yardage! In the end (once I made myself work on it), I did enjoy this project to some degree (hated the pattern, I don't know why, even though it turned out well).

I enjoyed the yarn so much that a few weeks later, I started this...

Phillotaxis Scarf in Progress

Pattern: Knitting Nature, by Norah Gaughan
Yarn: Cascade Ecological Wool, #8049, 2 skeins
Needles: US 7/US 8
Timeline: 12/2/07 - 12/19/07

This scarf I loved the pattern. I loved it enough that I want to make one for me. After a slight misstep, where I could not figure out where the pattern was shifting, I got the hang of this one very quickly and was able to knit nearly the whole thing by touch. The first half went very fast, and then the second half dragged a little, like most scarves, because, well, I was dragging the scarf (which it turned out was worse than normal, because it was knit in the round). But I did finish it and I think it came out well. This one went to my grandfather because I had him in the annual family Christmas exchange. I'm not sure that he'll ever wear it, but he did seem to like it, and that's what counts (and I got him some other things, just in case!)

I must use this yarn again. Maybe in another scarf (though I might take a breather for a little while)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home