Thursday, May 31, 2007

Waterfall Rib Socks

I've mentioned my addiction to Sunshine Yarns once or twice, yes? :-) It all started with that first skein of Stones Throw that I stumbled upon and used to make socks for my dad. So soft, with short color repeats. The whole knitting process was a dream. And I was jealous of the socks I gave away. Same thing with the socks I made for Herb the next month. But Herb informed me that they don't wear well, with bad pilling, and I had to test whether that was actually true or if it's because he abuses them (I TOLD him not to throw them in the dryer). So I made my own pair of socks with Sunshine Yarns:

Waterfall Rib Socks - 1 of 2

Pattern: Sensational Knitted Socks
Yarn: Sunshine Yarns Superwash Wool Soft, Violets, 1 skein
Needles: US 1.5 (US 0 for the cuffs)
Project Timeline: 3/24/07 - 5/17/07

Once again, this were a dream to knit. The pattern was easy to memorize, and I just enjoyed the process. They started out as subway knitting, before I switched jobs, and then I was having trouble fitting them in to my knitting queue, hence the almost two months it took to make them. But now they are done, and it's too warm to wear them!

I decided to use Sensational Knitted Socks for the stitch pattern more than anything. I cast on 72 stitches, worked K1P1 ribbing for 20 rounds, then did 12 pattern repeats. I took more than half the stitches (39, to be exact, decreasing one on the first round to get an even number) and then worked an eye of partridge heel (which I LOVE). I decreased down to a total of 65 stitches for the foot, which works perfectly for my feet. For the toe, I worked a standard wedge toe until I had half the stitches (32), then I decreased every round until I had a quarter of the stitches (16) and kitchenered. I gotta say it's one of my best toes ever, and it fits really well.

Here's a close up of the stitch pattern, gusset and eye of partridge heel:

Waterfall Rib Socks - 2 of 2

I know I should probably throw a little bit of abuse at them, but I kinda don't want to. :-P I have a ton of left over yarn, so maybe I'll make a few swatches that can be tested. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home