Thursday, June 14, 2007

Convertible (Finally)!

I remembered to bring the package for my sister, which will go out in the mail (all the way to Los Angeles!) later today, so I can FINALLY write about Convertible.

I. Hated. This. Project. :-) Don't get me wrong, the wrap came out beautifully. In the end, all the work was probably worth it. But it took me forever to get the yarn (I had to special order it from Blue Moon Fiber Arts, and it took awhile to figure out what my color options were). The color was not what I expected it to be. The first skein of yarn (wound by hand) ended up a tangled mess. The yarn was splitty. The lace pattern was difficult to memorize. I was always forgetting to add the button holes. And on and on... it's no wonder that this project took me forever!

But now it's done, and it's beautiful:

Convertible - 1 of 2

Pattern: Knitty
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Bambu, Lucy in the Sky, 2 skeins
Needles: US 5
Project Timeline: 10/06 - 4/29/07

The only changes I made were that I added 13 stitches in width, and therefore only had enough yarn to complete a total of 16 pattern repeats, instead of 17.

I even found some nice silver and mother of pearl buttons to create the "cufflinks":

Buttons for Convertible - 1 of 2

The bamboo yarn is very drapey, but as I already said, very splitty. This project reinforced my belief that I am a process knitter (much like everything else in my life), and if it's not fun, I don't want to knit it.

Here's an up-close shot of the lace pattern:

Convertible - 2 of 2

I hope my sister likes it. I, for one, am glad to have it out of my house, and if she doesn't like it, well, I never have to know. :-P

2 Comments:

At June 19, 2007 12:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You really did a great job with this! I can't believe you are a new knitter. I've been knitting for 2 years, but I've never even TRIED to tackle a lace pattern. Sigh. I'm going to add you to my Reading list for blogs, hope that's ok :-) I'm wondering where in Somerville you are, I'm between Union Square and Sullivan Square...

 
At June 19, 2007 1:34 PM, Blogger Lizzardie said...

Thank you! I've been knitting for about 1 1/2 years, but I do seem to have jumped right in! Lace requires some concentration, but so far all of the stitches I've used have appeared in other projects I've worked on as well.

I live up near Davis Square and Teele Square - just a few blocks from Tufts University.

I'm happy to have another blog reader. :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home