Thursday, June 21, 2007

More Sock Yarn

I'm not sure that many people read this, but in case people do, and in case those people are in the BMFA Rockin' Sock Club, I have pictures of the June kit later in the post. I figured I'd give fair warning.

The yarn diet is completely out the window now. Whee!

Here's the thing. I joined Mystery Stole 3, because I've been wanting to knit more lace (and Melanie's patterns are gorgeous - I will eventually be buying Scheherazade and Hanami). She recommended either white or black laceweight, and since the shawl I'm currently knitting is in charcoal (KSH Anthracite, to be exact), I thought I'd go with white. The Loopy Ewe carries Lane Borgosesia Cashwool in White, so that was to be my yarn of choice. But ohh, a $75 order gives me free shipping, and new products went up last night. In the end, I spent about $120 and got several sock yarns that I've been meaning to try, in addition to the laceweight:
  • Claudia Hand Painted Yarns in Peppermint Mocha
  • Louet Gems in Burgundy (destined to be a gift)
  • Apple Laine in Vanilla (also destined to be a gift, and not socks)
  • Fleece Artist Sea Wool in Peridot (the name of my birthstone!)
  • Dream in Color Smooshy Sock Yarn in Petal Shower
I'm a sucker for pretty colors.

But! At least I received sock yarn yesterday that I have already paid for! I really do like the June kit from the Rockin' Sock Club. The color, called Firebird, is gorgeous (pretty much anything with reds in it will get my attention), and the pattern - The Solstice Slip - looks interesting enough. Even though options appear for knitting the sock toe up or cuff down, the Dyer's Notes say it was originally written just toe up, so that's how I will knit it. I am not entirely sure, but I MAY add calf shaping, and knit until the yarn runs out. It would be my first modification of that sort. Ohh, and I'm also going to learn how to cable without a cable needle, probably using Grumperina's tutorial. That will be the next pair of socks on the needles (after Pomatomus, and I'm only on the leg portion of the first sock). The kit also came with a card that shows pictures of lots of skeins of Firebird in various poses - I love it!

Here are some pictures (some have flash, some don't, and I can't decide which show the colors better):

Rockin' Sock Club - June

Rockin' Sock Club - June

Rockin' Sock Club - June

Rockin' Sock Club - June

That last one is my favorite. :-P

Ohh, and the inside of my ball band says "Indian".

2 Comments:

At June 21, 2007 8:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful yarn! Oh, and anything named Peppermint Mocha(food or not) makes me drool. Yum...

 
At June 22, 2007 12:20 PM, Blogger Lizzardie said...

Haha, I might have to make a point of drinking peppermint mochas when I start knitting with the yarn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home