Thursday, November 15, 2007

Southwestern Socks

Last week my camera was dead, and this week I've just had too much to do! But, there are several things to talk about around here, and I'll start with another FO. :-)

Southwestern Socks - 1 of 3

Pattern: From The Loopy Ewe by Wendy Knits
Yarn: Fiesta Boomerang, Misty Morning, 1 skein
Needles: US 3 (US 2.5 for the cuffs)
Timeline: 9/13/07 - 10/27/07

If you remember, I started these socks in Italy. I bought Brittany Birch DPNs especially for the trip (after some I ordered didn't arrive on time, thanks to my own stupidity), and one of them broke before I even got to my hotel. That was okay, right? Because I could still make socks using only four needles. Well, while working the gusset increases on the second sock, ANOTHER needle broke. I had to put these aside, but the people at Brittany Needles are great - I emailed them once I returned, and I had three new needles within two weeks. So, these socks took awhile, but I was eventually able to complete them!

I really, really love this yarn. It's almost... velvety. The colors were really great, too, with no noticeable pooling. Next time I'd like to try something a little brighter and richer, but this was nice because it was outside the colors I normally knit with. This yarn is technically worsted weight, though it knits up to a good sport weight tension. They also have a new sport weight version out, and I'd love to try that one, too. Ohh, and these socks are a pretty good size and I had plenty of yarn left over.

Southwestern Socks - 3 of 3

I had someone ask me on Flickr what I thought of the heel. I really like it, actually. It was easy to execute - gusset increases along the foot (these were done toe-up, by the way), and then you turn the heel... and you're done! So, it certainly seems like a combination of short-row and gusset heel. Short-row heels can definitely be kinda shallow.

I photographed these socks on Sunday, and then proceeded to wear them for the rest of the day. They were definitely very comfy. I'm very happy to now have enough pairs of hand knit socks that I can wear them whenever I want. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home