Wednesday, August 01, 2007

The LAST Patriots Tychus

Last year around this time, I got this idea in my head that I would knit hats for my guy friends who love the New England Patriots. There are four of them. Four hats. The same hat pattern. I never want to knit this pattern again. In fact, I never wanted to knit it again after the THIRD hat, and so it took me forever to knit poor Patrick his promised hat. But I finally sat down one week in June (yes, I know wool hats are pretty useless in New England in June) and cranked out the hat.

Tychus #5 - 2 of 2

Pattern: Knitty
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Superwash, Red Pepper, 1 skein, Dark Navy, 2 skeins, Coast Gray, 2 skeins
Needles: US 8
Project Timeline: 6/17/07 - 6/21/07

Interestingly, despite how much I hate this pattern now and never want to knit it again, this was my favorite of the four Patriots hats. I finally got the sizing right (the directions in the pattern give you a hat that is way too big, so I had to make some adjustments). In previous versions, I modified the hat to have a provisional cast on with a three needle bindoff - this time, I used a provisional cast on and then GRAFTED the stitches (I recently learned how to graft in garter stitch, thank you Victorian Lace Today), meaning no seam AT ALL. And I really like how the hat looks with the gray dominating (all four hats actually had slightly different color patterns, but always using these three colors).

But really. I'm never knitting this hat again. I mean it. :-)

2 Comments:

At August 02, 2007 9:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like it! You're so good, you know, finishing a project even when you hate it. I would have put it aside and come back to it a year later haha.

 
At August 02, 2007 11:22 AM, Blogger Lizzardie said...

Since these take about 2 days, this WAS my version of putting it off for about 8 months! My friend is leaving for Switzerland soon, though, so it had to be done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home