Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Another Pair of Socks Finished

I finished my Pomatomus socks last night during the All-Star Game (I found myself really conflicted on who to root for in this one - great job by both the Cubs and Red Sox players, and the Cubs have been doing well lately, but the Red Sox are running away with their division right now, what to do, what to do). I ended up knitting five more rows on the second sock before the toe decreases, and then going back to redo the toe on the first sock, and I'm glad I did. In fact, I think I could have done even more rows and it would have been good - for some reason with this pair, I just couldn't get a good read on when the sock was long enough. I wound up with plenty of yarn to spare - not a lot, but enough - and I knit the sock as written for my size 9 feet. I had been worried, because I'd read about people only knitting two pattern repeats on the cuff, instead of three, with the Socks That Rock Mediumweight, but I didn't have any problems with yardage.

Hopefully I'll be able to wash and block the socks in the next coupla days, and take pictures by this weekend.

And I can't be without a pair of socks on the needles, so I swatched Firebird for the Solstice Slip socks. This is my first time using Socks That Rock Lightweight, and I'm really liking it. More like sock weight than the mediumweight, but with the Blue Moon colors and that night tight twist. Hopefully I'll be able to get those started tonight.

2 Comments:

At July 11, 2007 12:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! Can't wait to see the finished socks :-) Ok, so I just spent the last few minutes looking at your completed projects. How do you say JEALOUS?? I feel like such a doof. I've only made the simplest of things. So, I have this thing where if I look at a pattern, and it has some weird abbreviations or a chart, I don't knit it. That's it, you've inspired me and I'm gonna knit lace socks after this easy peasy pair is done.

 
At July 11, 2007 3:34 PM, Blogger Lizzardie said...

Thank you so much for saying such nice things about my work! :-)

I'm not the biggest fan of chart knitting myself, and was initially scared off of anything that had chart knitting. But, I started with a small chart (I think it was maybe 4 stitches across) and have worked my way up. The Mystery Shawl project is the most complicated chart I've read, and it helps that there are only 5 symbols!

With the Pomatomus socks, while knowing how to read the chart was important, what I found more important was reading my knitting - with that, I didn't need the chart much at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home