Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Remember Mystery Stole #3?

I am once again behind on photographs for Mystery Stole #3, but I have yet to fall behind on the knitting. Clue #4 was extra long - 135 rows, when the previous two clues had been 50 (the first clue was 100 rows, but we increased up from a point, so the knitting probably works out to be the same). Clue #4 was also pretty monotonous - the center pattern of the shawl didn't change. Since we had two weeks to knit it, I spread it out over two weeks, but was finished last Monday, a good four days before the next clue:

Mystery Shawl #3 - Progress #4

Right now I'm kinda regretting my decision to keep the stole the length it was intended, because it looks kinda small (it should be 50 inches long and 20-something inches wide - it's 40" by 16"), but I'm hoping wet blocking will fix this - lace is stretchy, right?

Things did get intriguing towards the end of the fourth clue:

Mystery Shawl #3 - Progress #4

A row of eyelets! I knew the pattern must be drastically changing in the fifth clue because of this, but I had no idea what was coming.

Here's another up-close shot of the lace:

Mystery Shawl #3 - Progress #4

In case you haven't heard (it's been almost a week now, I don't mind revealing it here), the theme of the shawl is Swan Lake - white shawls like mine represent Odette, black shawls represent Odile. And for the last third of the shawl (the last 3 clues, as it were), we'll be knitting a wing. Yes, a wing, complete with short rows (which are more like attaching a border to a shawl at this point than short rows, but really I guess it's all the same thing). I have Clue #5 done, and will photograph when I get a chance. I'm still having a ton of fun with this, and will be sad when the shawl is done!

3 Comments:

At August 08, 2007 12:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Swan Lake, what a wonderful theme! I still can't believe people can knit like this, it fascinates me. Looks really really good....

 
At August 13, 2007 12:36 PM, Blogger Lizzardie said...

I've found lace really isn't THAT difficult. It takes awhile to get used to the thin yarn, but you aren't necessarily using tiny needles (I'm using US 4's for this one). Plus, up until this point, the shawl had used only five stitches:
knit
purl
knit 2 together
slip 1, knit 1, pass slipped stitch over
slip 1 knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over
yarn over

The later clues also introduced slip 2, knit 1, pass slipped stitches over, which you're using right now in your jaywalkers!

See? Simple! :-)

 
At August 13, 2007 12:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! That does seem easy...I think that when I was trying Hedera, I was getting mix up on the yarn overs. I keep watching the knittinghelp.com tutorial to get it down...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home