Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sock Club Stuff

First, last week I received my October installment from the Yarn Pirate Booty Club:

Yarn Pirate Booty Club - October

The yarn base is the Fingering Superwash, and the color is Killer Bees. These are not really my colors, but I have a friend that I think will love them. She may eventually get a pair of socks. ;-) The needles are also super pointy and the cables are nice and flexible - plus I don't have needles in that size (my Knit Picks needle are US 1.5 and US 2.5, and these are US 1 and US 2, respectively). The button is probably going to a friend who loves pirates, because I already have a button.

If anyone is interested, the Yarn Pirate is going to open up club subscriptions again in mid-December.

There will be more sock club packages arriving this week, I think. My last installment from the Chewy Spaghetti Blue Plate Special club has already shipped. I have loved the first two installments (I even have a complete pair of socks from the first skein, which hopefully I will have photographed and up here soon), so I'm looking forward to the final one. And also shipping this week is the October installment of the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Rockin' Sock Club. It's supposed to be something from the Raven series, which is exciting.

The bad news... I am poor (new car, recently completed expensive vacation), so I need to cut back back on the sock/yarn clubs. I'm keeping the Yarn Pirate one, because I think the cost is right, but I probably won't be signing up for any more clubs, and... I hate to say it, but I will not be renewing my Rockin' Sock Club membership. That one was a tough decision, but I think it's the right one. For 2008, they have said the base yarns will be the Lightweight, Mediumweight and Silkie. I love the Lightweight and the Mediumweight, but I'm not so enamored by the Silkie (in fact, while I'm looking forward to my Raven yarn, I am hoping it is NOT in the Silkie base). I just don't like the different colors in the different plies, normally. Also, BMFA makes sock club colors available after a year, so it's not like I couldn't purchase the club colors at a later date (and in the base yarn that I want). Plus, while I have generally liked all of the club colors to date, and there are two more to come, I have only LOVED one of the colors (Firebird).

If I was going to join another yarn club right now? It would totally be this one. In Autumn. :-) Again, I realized I cannot justify the cost, but it seems like so much fun.

Ohh, and speaking of my expensive vacation, if you're interested in pictures, they're here. I have only labeled a handful of the pictures right now, but they sure are pretty. :-) There are about 650 of them spread out in 11 different sets by location in Italy.

3 Comments:

At October 23, 2007 3:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

How much was the Yarn Pirate club? I might have to join, if I'm not totally broke from Christmas spending. Your pictures of Italy are stunning. You have a great camera!!!! The pictures are so clear and vivid. I haven't gone through them all yet, but I will eventually :-) I don't know if you're that close, but we are starting up a Union Square SnB Thursday nights starting 11/01 at Bloc11. Wanted to let you know in case you're interested! Sorry I just wrote a novel on your blog.

 
At October 23, 2007 10:33 PM, Blogger Lizzardie said...

The Yarn Pirate club is $80/3 months if you pay all at once, $30/month if you go monthly. Given that she sells her yarn for $26/skein, the club has base yarns that are not always available, and priority shipping is $4.50, I think it's a good deal.

Thank you for the compliment on the photos! I heard about the SnB on Ravelry - I'm going to try and make it - then I can tell you all about the trip in person!

 
At October 24, 2007 9:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I really want to join the YP club, that price is great!! I really hope you make it to the SnB!! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home