Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Swatches!

I had far less knitting time the past couple of days than I was hoping, so I don't have much to show. I did, however, get three of the four skeins of yarn that I'm bringing on my Italian vacation swatched AND I figured out what they are all going to be!

Swatches for Italy

Clockwise, from the top left:

BMFA STR Heavyweight in Falcon's Eye, purchased at The Fold when I was visiting my family at Christmas. I swatched this one on US 3's at 6.5 sts/inch. I've decided to make the Cable Rib Socks from Favorite Socks, with modifications for gauge (of course) and to make the cables line up on the cuff AND the instep.

Fiesta Boomerang in Misty Morning, purchased at The Loopy Ewe. These also swatched to 6.5 sts/inch on US 3's. I'll be making the Southwestern Socks from Wendy Knits.

Mountain Colors Weaver's Wool Quarters, in Clearwater, also purchased at The Fold. This is the only one I haven't swatched yet, but I'm going to guess that it'll knit up to the "right" gauge on US 2.5's. I'm going to make the Heelless Sleeping Socks from Knitting Vintage Socks.

And finally, Chewy Spaghetti Spaghettoni in Frivolous, from the Chewy Spaghetti Blue Plate Special Sock Club. This yarn I did on US 2.5's and got a gauge of 7 sts/inch. I'm going to make the Open Rib Socks from Sensational Knitted Socks.

So, all sportweight socks for this trip. I'm also going to ditch my beloved Knit Picks circulars in favor of some bamboo DPNs, because of the international flights. I'm not flying through London, and I haven't found anything forbidding knitting needles on the Frankfurt, Germany, or Rome, Italy, airport websites, but I figure better safer than sorry.

I don't expect to get through ALL of these in the 12 days I'm gone, but I want to have enough to knit on, without running out and without bringing my entire stash. Hopefully this puts me right around where I want to be. There is going to be A LOT of time in airports, on planes and on a bus.

Now I just have to decide which ORDER I'm going to make these in. :-)

2 Comments:

At August 29, 2007 8:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I am so excited for your trip! (haha how sad is that?)I love the swatches you knit up. I will be living vicariously through you while you're gone!

 
At August 30, 2007 2:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Those colours are gorgeous! And yes, buying a car is a VERY happymaking thing. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home